These aromatic flavorings can transform a dish but also pack quite a healthy punch.
Next time you reach in the medicine cabinet you might want to think twice and open your spice cabinet. These healthy herbs can do the trick without all the nasty side effects.
Here are ten of the healthiest herbs and spices.
- Star anise seed can help with menstrual cramps, upset stomachs, and coughing. The sweet licorice flavored seeds are a good addition to a tea or rice dish.
- Cilantro is a delicious addition to salsa and other fresh Mexican dishes. Cilantro is rich in vitamin K and helps blood clot while improving bone strength.
- Cinnamon is a holiday favorite. Use it to spice your seasonal pies or grate over hot chocolate for added flavor. Recent research shows that cinnamon might lower blood sugar levels for those with type 2 diabetes.
- Cumin is best used in chili’s to spice the meat. Cumin is rich in calcium, iron, and magnesium. It may also help prevent stomach ulcers.
- Dandelions which were common in salads in world war two among those with low incomes and no food. Dandelions are known to help digestion problems and work well as liver or kidney tonic.
- Fennel, which has grown lately in popularity, is from the Mediterranean region. With its licorice flavor it helps with bloating, gas, and other digestion issues.
- Ginger is popular in Asian cuisine. This spicy root can help with nausea, chemotherapy, and motion sickness.
- Holy basil is often used to treat high cholesterol. It has also been associated with pain relief, asthma, diabetes, upper respiratory infections, and swelling.
- Nutmeg used as another holiday spice helps fight bacteria and fungi. It is a great source of fiber and when applied directly to the skin can help smooth blemishes as it is an anti-inflammatory.
- Saffron, one of the more pricey spices, helps tame PMS symptoms and mild to moderate depression. It is very tasty in rice and soups.
If you read this far, we assume you found this post interesting. Please help Blackle Mag thrive by sharing it using the social media buttons below.Tweet
What did you think of this post? Let us know in the comments below.